Meg Paech invited me to show her how to cook Malaysian chicken curry. I bring all the ingredients to her lovely home. These are the ingredients:
Serves : 4-6 person
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
2 tablespoons, cooking oil
1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1.5" ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
4 tablespoons, meat curry powder
6 curry leaves
1 stick, cinnamon
2 star anise
3 cups water
1 dried tamarind (assam)
3 carrots, peeled and chopped into thin slices
4 potatoes, peeled and cut into half
1 tin, coconut milk (or 3/4 cup milk)
Salt to taste
1. Add the oil into a sauce pan and heat it up until hot.
2. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and stir-fry until aromatic before adding the curry powder.
3. Add the curry powder, curry leaves, and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
4. Stir-fry until you smell the aroma, then add the cloves, cinnamon and star anise.
5. Add the chicken, stir to combine well for about 1 minute.
6. Add the water, dried tamarind, carrots, potatoes, and bring it to boil.
7. Lower the heat. Cover the pot and let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until chicken become tender.
8. Add the coconut milk and salt to taste and simmer for another 5 minutes.
9. Dish out and serve with steamed rice, toast bread or paratha (roti canai).
* You may substitute chicken with beef or lamb meat.
** The same ingredients and method apply for chicken/beef/lamb Kurma. You need to substitute the meat curry powder with Kurma powder.
|Meg, curry & me|