17 February 2017, 20 Jamadilawal 1438H
English translation of LGBT video by JAKIM
"After we understand the terms, now let us understand how Islam interact with the issue. Verily, there are some muslims that have non-heterosexual orientation, but standing firm in Islamic teaching. To them, it is a test from Allah. They prefer to face the test as per demand by Islam.
Surat Al-'Anbyā' (The Prophets), Chapter 21, Verse 35:
"Every soul will taste death. And We test you with evil and with good as trial; and to Us you will be returned." (Quran 21:35)
How to change the same sex attraction
We have to realize that same sex attraction (SSA) is like horse riding. It can be train although quite difficult. When a person realize that his sexual orientation differ than another people and try to change it, he need training and guidance that take times. In conjunction to that, what should he do to change the sexuality?
- Bear in mind that he wants to change for the sake of Allah, not because of coercion from anyone else.
- To perform 'taubat nasuha' (sincere repentance :- repent and trying not to repeat again).
- To leave the things that may lead you to be LGBT again. (such as pornography).
- After the sincere repent, the next focus is to fulfill sexual desire by marry to opposite gender.
- Otherwise, to control the sexual desire by fasting, just like encouraged by the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
- To respect and protect own dignity.
- Bear in mind that not all people are SSA.
- Be in a good positive environment and intercommunication with good and nice people.
- Be patience and remember Allah always. Daily prayers may remind you of Allah.
Allah can turn your heart back and forth. Allah is sufficient for us. Make dua (supplication) to Him and rely on Him, for all the things in our bodies including the sexual orientation be in the way that accepted by Allah.
Abdullah b. Amr b. al-'As reported that he heard Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying:
"Verily, the hearts of all the sons of Adam are between the two fingers out of the fingers of the Compassionate Lord as one heart. He turns that to any (direction) He likes. Then Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said: 0 Allah, the Turner of the hearts, turn our hearts to Thine obedience."
|Reference||: Sahih Muslim 2655|
|In-book reference||: Book 46, Hadith 29|
|USC-MSA web (English) reference||: Book 33, Hadith 6418|
|(deprecated numbering scheme)|